SWAML, pronounced [swæml], is a research project around the semantic web technologies to publish the mailing lists' archives into a RDF format. It has been developed by the CTIC Foundation and the WESO-RG at University of Oviedo (Spain). You can visit the project page at bibucket for more details.
SWAML reads a collection of email messages stored in a mailbox (from a mailing list compatible with RFC 4155) and generates a RDF description. It is written in Python using SIOC as the main ontology to represent in RDF a mailing list.
In the project we're involved:
- Sergio Fernández (maintainer)
- Diego Berrueta
- Jose E. Labra
- Iván Frade
- Nacho Barrientos (debian package)
Mainly it's formed by two components:
- SWAML, the core process that exports a mailing list in RDF.
- Buxon, a sioc:Forum browser.
And it has some features:
- platform independent (written in python)
- shell mode (to use manually or by cron script)
- compatible with RFC 4155
- serialize to disk in RDF/XML and XHTML+RDFa, using (optional) HTTP content negotiation
- reusability of ontologies already extended, mainly SIOC
- enrichment with FOAF using SWSE/Sindice as source of information
- KML support
- GTK browser (Buxon)
- free software under GPLv2 or later)
- [16-04-2010] Released 0.1.1
- After two years without activity in the project, we've released a new version of SWAML in order to achieve the latest changes on the SIOC vocabulary and fix some other minor issues. As usual, you can find the new release on BerliOS: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/swaml-0.1.1.tar.gz
- [25-07-2008] SWAML 0.1.0 published
- After many months without public release, we publish all the work made under a new release of SWAML.
- [27-04-2008] Published talk at SWSM2008
- Talk of this week presenting our paper at WWW2008 Workshop on Social Web Search and Mining (SWSM2008) in Beijing (China) is now available, both to download it: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/20080422-swsm2008.tar.gz and to see it directly in your browser: http://swaml.berlios.de/files/doc/talks/20080422-swsm2008/
- [10-04-2008] Available slides of talk in DERI
- The slides used in the talk on yesterday in DERI NUI Galway are now available: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/20080409-talk-swaml-deri-galway.tar.gz
- [05-03-2008] Released Buxon 0.0.4
- After too much time without a new release, finally today we release version 0.0.4 of Buxon sioc:Forum browser. It available to download at: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/buxon-0.0.4.tar.gz
- [01-08-2007] SIOC is a W3C Submission
- Excellent news for all SIOC community: SIOC is now an official member submission of W3C: http://www.w3.org/blog/SW/2007/08/01/sioc_is_a_w3c_submission Thanks to everyone involved, specially to John and Uldis who have made most of the work.
- [21-05-2007] SWAML ontology properties on SIOC
- The last revision of official SIOC ontology specification now includes the two properties specified in SWAML ontology, with the consequent style adaptation. It has been a subject discussed in the last weeks on the SIOC-Dev mailing list, and finally the properties join into the core specification of SIOC. You could checkout the last revision of SIOC ontology specification at: http://rdfs.org/sioc/spec/ . In the next weeks we'll update all the software tools.
- [14-05-2007] Seville slides
- The slides used in talk of last friday at the first Free Software University Contest are available at: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/20070511-swaml-concurso-software-libre.pdf
- [11-05-2007] SWAML won an award
- SWAML won, in Web category, the first Free Software University Contest. More information at: http://concurso-softwarelibre.us.es/noticias.html#premios
- [30-04-2007] SAW2007 slides
- Published the slides used in talk of last friday in the workshop on Social Aspects of the Web (aka SAW20007). You could found it at: http://prdownload.berlios.de/swaml/SAW2007-Mailing-Lists-Meet-The-Semantic-Web.pdf
Also you could find all news/comments related with the project in a wiki page called SWAML-o-sphere. Feel free to add any other entry.
- swaml-0.1.1.tar.gz (16/04/2010)
- swaml-0.1.0.tar.gz (25/07/2008)
- swaml-0.0.5.tar.gz and swaml_0.0.5-2_all.deb (28/12/2006)
- swaml-0.0.4.tar.gz (21/11/2006)
- swaml-0.0.3.tar.gz (01/11/2006)
- swaml-0.0.2.tar.gz (13/10/2006)
- swaml-0.0.1.tar.gz (02/10/2006)
- buxon-0.0.4.tar.gz and buxon_0.0.4-1_all.deb (05/03/2008)
- buxon-0.0.3.tar.gz and buxon_0.0.3-2_all.deb (28/12/2006)
If you use any Debian-based GNU/Linux distribution, you could install it using APT tools (apt-get install swaml and apt-get install buxon). All packages depends on RDFLib. You can see several demos of which SWAML makes.
If you would like to stay up to date with development you can check out the latest version using the source code repository:
hg clone https://bitbucket.org/wikier/swaml
In addition to the online documentation for developers, there are available to download another documents about the project:
- original document in spanish with the idea that motivated this project
- translation with the idea that motivated this project
- a book (in Spanish) about the SWAML project for Sergio's degree dissertation
Also there are some photos related with the project.
The research activity on the project produced some scientist publications:
- Sergio Fernández, Diego Berrueta, Lian Shi, Jose E. Labra, Patricia Ordóñez de Pablos. Mailing Lists and Social Semantic Web. Chapter in Social Web Evolution: Integrating Semantic Applications and Web 2.0 Technologies, Miltiadis D. Lytras, Patricia Ordonez de Pablos (eds.), part of the Advances in Semantic Web and Information Systems (ASWIS) book series. ISBN: 978-1-60566-272-5.
- Diego Berrueta, Sergio Fernández and Lian Shi. Bootstrapping the Semantic Web of Social Online Communities. WWW2008 Workshop on Social Web Search and Mining (SWSM2008), Beijing, China, April 22, 2008. (to appear).
- Sergio Fernández, Diego Berrueta and José E. Labra. A semantic web approach to publish and consume mailing lists. IADIS International Journal on WWW/Internet (to appear).
- Sergio Fernández, Diego Berrueta and José E. Labra. Mailing lists meet the Semantic Web. In Proceedings of the BIS 2007 Workshop on Social Aspects of the Web, ISBN 83-916842-4-2, pp. 45-52, Poznan, Poland, April 27, 2007.
And we made some presentations about the project around the world:
- Bootstrapping the Semantic Web of Social Online Communities:
- April 22th of 2008, WWW2008 Workshop on Social Web Search and Mining (SWSM2008), Beijing, China.
- Bootstrapping the Semantic Web of Social Online Communities:
- April 9th of 2008 in DERI NUI Galway, Galway (Ireland)
- SWAML, Semantic Web Archive of Mailing Lists:
- May 11th of 2007 in Seville (Spain) on the final phase of the I Concurso Universitario de Software Libre
- Mailing Lists Meet The Semantic Web:
- April 27th of 2007 in Poznan (Poland) on the workshop of Social Aspects of the Web (SAW2007), in conjunction with 10th International Conference on Business Information Systems (BIS2007), in co-operation with ACM SIGMIS
- SWAML, publicación de listas de correo en Web Semántica:
- December 20th of 2006 in Oviedo (Spain) for Sergio's degree dissertation
There are some projects that share our vision of providing structured data on the Web:
You can contact with the members of project in the developers mailing list (archives are public). Also, you can report a bug or send a feature request without you need to subscribe of any of project mailing lists.